Skip to content

Opening a Business in the City of Murray

The challenges of starting a new business can be overwhelming.  This guide will help aid you along in the process.  For full details please contact the Customer Service Center at (270) 762-0300 and they will direct your call to the appropriate person or visit City Hall at 500 Main Street, Murray, KY 42071. Click here to visit the City of Murray's website.

Things to Consider:

What permits or forms will I possibly need?

  • Building Permit - Required if you will be constructing a new building, performing renovations or changing the use of the building. You will need to contact the Building Department for full regulations.
  • Sign Permit - Any signage erected must be permitted by the Planning Department.
  • Transient Business - A transient business is the sale of goods or services from roadside or public view by way of tent, trailer, roadside stand, parked vehicle or other similar enclosure not attached by permanent foundation.
    • Transient Businesses are permitted in B-2, B-3, B-4 and Industrial zoning districts and as a Conditional Use in a B-1 Zone. They must be a minimum of 500 feet away from another transient business.
    • Every location for a transient business must obtain a business license.  The cost for a Transient Business License is $75.00 per application/location.
    • A Transient Business License is valid up to 90 days at one location per calendar year.
    • A copy of lease agreement from the property owner.
    • A site plan showing the proposed location.
    • If you are preparing food, you will need to contact the Calloway County Health Department at (270) 753-3381.

Are Home Occupations allowed in residential zoning districts? 

Yes, some occupational uses are allowed in residential zoning districts if they are compatible with the neighborhood and certain conditions can be met such as:

  • No generation of traffic, noise or odor.
  • No employees other than those that reside on the premises.
  • No sign on premises.
  • No external storage of inventory or vehicles.
  • No external alteration of the dwelling.
  • Use is conducted entirely within a dwelling or accessory building.

Other home occupations may either be prohibited or require a conditional use permit that is reviewed and approved by the Board of  Zoning Adjustments. Please contact the Planning Department to ensure compliance with any home occupation. A City of Murray business license will be required for any home occupation.

For complete details contact the Customer Service Center at (270) 762-0300 and they will direct your call to the appropriate person.

The Kentucky Small Business Development Center has been assisting the Commonwealth’s small business community for 40 years. With 17 centers statewide and an experienced and knowledgeable staff, the Kentucky SBDC provides unparalleled business coaching and training services to help existing business owners and potential entrepreneurs start, grow, and succeed.

Their services include: one-on-one business coaching, training workshops, access to market research, loan packaging help, assistance with financial projections and information needed to make informed business decisions.


Aaron Harned - Business Coach

Kentucky Small Business Development Center 

University of Kentucky 


Paducah Center: 270-953-0153

Scroll To Top